Saturday, February 24, 2007

Prompt 17

Two generalizations that I feel express the basic lessons in "Yellow-Girls" are first, the idea of natural born Chinamen that American born Chinese person's are not equal and second, the urge of American born Chinamen to be accepted by their fellow man. We, as humans, are born with compassion and from these generalizations, we must learn that people are all different and yet equal, no matter who they are or where they were born. For example, "It was there in the train station in Tainan that I realized that I was a foreigner everywhere I went, no matter how fluent I was in English or how un-American my facial features were." Meggy Wang said this in her essay, The Train, and I believe that everyone feels this if they are multicultural. I think the way these girls feel should be open to everyone so that maybe when we run into a multicultural person we wont push them out of a place they might belong even though they don't look like they belong in a part of a certain culture. For example a Chinese American has a Chinese culture and can be apart of it their whole lives, but still want to be a part of the culture that we as American's from time to time call our own and hesitate to let others into.

No comments: