Wednesday, January 3, 2007

sorry i've been remiss



You would not believe how beautiful this place is and how wrong pictures are. It rains every single day. Just a misting rain that makes you think you need to get inside. Nothing like the rain Houston is getting right now. I'm having a good time except for the occasional pain in the battle wound i've recieved. A battle wound is what Charlie would call it and I guess he's right. We've all gotten a few and had a rough time. Today was great because we went to the Japanese religious sights. I forgot to take my camera but the Shendo temple in Chainatown was amazing. I bought 3 talismans that will aid me in the year. One for my studies, one for relationships, and a personal card to keep with me for a personal problem i might be having. I also bought tiny budda's to put in my purse for peace and good fortune. I have to go to class soon so I'll be comeing back to finish this blog and add pictures, but I hope from the pictures you do see that you will enjoy to beauty I get to see everyday. The mountains are on one side of the hotel and the ocean is on the other side. We went to North Shore at Sunset Beach!


It was outrageous. I fell asleep. My dream for all of you at home to get to see this place someday. Maybe I can be your tour guide! The shedo temple we went to was a place to honor and venerate ancestors for the Japanese people. A place to purify and honor the Kami. We had a lecture today from Dr. Littlejohn that was interesting and saw a movie that depicted a family that has grown apart with the passage of time. I felt that Japanese people today focus more on their duty to the whole country than their duty to their families. It made me sad bt also made me realize that we cannot as Westerners feel sorry for the women because it is an honor to them to serve their husbands and family. There is a word for the relationships that we strive for. That relationship where you are totally dependent on a person, whether it be your parents or a close friend. It astonished me that wives and husbands in Japan hardly ever have that relationship with their husbands and vice versa. We went to a Buddist temple today and learned of the meditation and peace the buddist religion has. To be empty is Nirvana. Which is amazing to me because in the Christian faith, to be filled with the love of Christ is essentially "Nirvana" or salvation. The difference just blew me away. I have to go to class now but i'll post more soon. I miss you guys! luv ya tons!


Jenn

No comments: