Saturday, December 30, 2006

Interesting Times






The past two days have been interesting to say the least. We went to Hanama Bay and snorkeled in the coral reef there. It was fun and exciting, except for the fact that my snorkel was leaking. But the pictures we took with the underwater camera were just amazing! The fish were so many different colors and were just so beautiful. Katie and I swam as far as we could without going too far past the rocks. She saw an eel. I wasn't too keen on that idea, so I just turned around and tried to dry off. Then it was off to Sandy Beach where the waves were just brutal. The water churned up sand as well as people and we all got beat up pretty bad. I got a knee injury but dont really want to focus too muc on that. I was just thankful to all the guys who lifted me. I know it wasn't easy. I'm sorry i put you out. But being on crutches is a drag. My two hour stay in the ER was enough to make me come back to the hotel and crash! Today was just amazing! We went to Pali lookout and Dr. Littlejohn told us the story of how the warriors being driven out there died a warriors death and it was so interesting. It made me realize just how much pride the native's here have. I realized that tourists are walking on the land that their ancestors built and just how sacred it is to them. I saw the Americanization and it made me feel almost ashamed. But we also went to Iolani's palace where the royals of Hawaii lived until American business men through it over. We also learned about the missionaries and their work and how Catholisism had a very small impact on the Hawaiian people. After all that we went to an agriculter Haiau, which is a religious spot for the people of Hawaii. It is illegal to walk on the rocks that make the haiau,( hay-ow. ) It is also said that should you remove anything from this sacred ground you will be followed by a leprechan type figure who will ruin your life. I sure didn't want to tick off anyone else on this trip so I didn't touch a thing. Nor could I will a handful of crutches. But it was my favorite thing today. I've posted some pictures of the Pali lookout and the Haiau as well as the Polynesian culture center's canoe parade. It was interesting to see the dances from Figi, Samoa, and Tonga. I loved it!!! I hope you enjoy today's installment of my Hawaii spot! Mahalo...

No comments: